Planning Today for Tomorrow’s EventPosted on: December 27, 2017
The key word in the job Event Planning is PLANNING.
The more “planning” you do, the less work you have. Putting this into practice year after year will get you into a groove and allow your events to practically plan themselves! (OK – so that may be an exaggeration, but I promise they will be much less stressful.)
Though your events may be several months away, there are important things you should do today to prepare for them. And remember, for best results, start planning as early as possible.
Fundraising Dinner Event Planning:
1. Create a budget
- In my opinion, this is the most important task for any and all events.
- If you are at a loss for how to start for creating a budget, click here → Budget Planning Templates
- Determine if your event will have underwriters. This may greatly impact your event budget.
2. Identify the venue and negotiate details and date
- The earlier you can do this, the better.
- Event Tip! Opt for a weekday evening for good pricing and turn out.
3. Set up online registration
- Online registration is a great tool that has been proven to increase attendance.
- AttendEasy allows Table Hosts to manage their own guest list, saving lots of time and effort on your part as RSVPs come in.
- Event Tip! Before you set up your online registration, be certain you have all the necessary information. Here are 9 Questions to ask before setting up online registration.
4. Compare cost estimates and make selections on everything
- Get estimates for all fixed and variable items (e.g., food & beverages, A/V equipment, speaker fees, etc.)
- Event Tip! Remember to include taxes and service charges within your budget to save you from a big surprise cost later.
5. Identify and contact potential Table Hosts
- Table Hosts are great assets for your event. Prepare them well and they can take much of the burden off your plate. (Sample Table Host Packet)
6. Get the word out!
- Formal invitations, email, social media… make certain that your audience knows about your event and can share the information easily.
For Next Year’s Fundraising Dinner Event Planning:
Do all of the above, but get started NOW! Trust me, planning now will save you a lot of stress later.
P.S. Do you know anyone who might, perhaps be procrastinating a tad? Share this article with them and encourage them to start today!
This article was inspired by our customers and written to encourage your fundraising efforts. Although we work with ministries and events daily, our team members are not Event Consultants. We encourage you to consult with your event consultant, executive team, and/or affiliate organization before making any major changes to your events.